firstname.lastname@example.org | @andrewmatranga | 303.917.5017
University of Denver | Denver, CO, 2018 — Present
Ed.D., Curriculum & Instruction
- Dissertation in Practice focused on educational technology and hybrid learning, expected completion Spring 2024
University of Colorado | Boulder, CO, 2003 — 2005
M.A., Journalism and Mass Communications Research
- Completed thesis titled “The Folk Devil Goes Digital: Taping and Trading Live Music in the Digital Age,” conducted qualitative research on fan communities, live music and electronic music distribution.
Syracuse University | Syracuse, NY, 1998 — 2002
B.S., Television, Radio and Film and Political Science
- Coursework in audio production, broadcast production, video editing, American Congress, urban geography, political economy and popular culture.
Brand Journalist – StickerGiant, Longmont, CO | January 2014 — Present
Work on the Marketing Team as the Growth and Product Department to assess the editorial and SEO objectives of the StickerGiant brand as part of a multi-million dollar ad budget across all channels (AdWords, Facebook, Bing, etc.). This team functions as an in-house ad agency for the StickerGiant brand, controlling the brand voice, market position and product development, including digital. In my role. I am responsible for blog, podcast, advertising projects (including creative ideation, scripting, location scouting, managing video producers), voice overs for commercials, creative development and assisting in administration of the StickerGiant website. Achieved significant growth and measurable results with regard to new customer acquisition, lead conversions and organic site traffic, with 30% yearly growth since 2017. Helped launch the StickerGiant GIF program, which in four years has received over 2 billion views across Giphy, Tenor and other platforms. In September of 2021, StickerGiant was acquired by Resource Label Group, based in Franklin, TN.
Stickers on the Mic podcast – stickergiant.com/podcast
- Interview show focused on business, growth and marketing with small business owners about their companies
StickerGiant Customer Stories Blog – stickergiant.com/blog
- This blog features editorial service and customer stories focusing on design, branding and entrepreneurship.
StickerGiant Voiceover Reel – YouTube Playlist
- Over sixty videos (and counting) of advertising spots that run all across digital ad platforms.
StickerGiant GIF Selections Reel – Giphy Reel
- There are more than 1,300 branded StickerGiant GIFs on Giphy alone. The link above leads to the main StickerGiant channel. We stage a multi-day production shoot and involve the employees to leverage trending topics and memes that create this evergreen, branded content. The GIF below is one of my most-used in text messages and social media replies, and it has garnered 4,444,207 views as of December 2022.
Adjunct Faculty – Daniels College of Business, University of Denver
January 2021 — Present
- Developed classes focused on marketing, specifically Branding & Messaging, and Graphic Design
Associate Teaching Professor – Journalism Studies, University of Denver
March 2013 — Present
- Developed classes in Studying Star Wars, Cannabis Journalism, Web Design, Editorial Design, News Writing, Online Journalism, Data Journalism, Media Startups and other classes as needed by the department. I also serve as the Faculty Advisor to the DU Clarion, the campus news source.
Adjunct Faculty, Front Range Community College – Boulder County Campus
Fall 2017 — Fall 2018
Field guide + Copywriter, Nature Valley Trail View | August 2011 — August 2013
- Led a production team and an ad agency partner McCann-Erickson on location in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Worked as a copywriter and video talent for NatureValleyTrailView.com. Notable: This project won a Cannes Lion for creativity and was featured on Google’s “Think With Google” Creative Sandbox.
- Nature Valley Trail View YouTube Playlist
Map Editor, Backpacker and Bicycling | May 2010 — March 2013 | Boulder, CO
- Managed workflows, staff and revenue for navigation products in-print, online and mobile. Supervised nationwide, user-generated GPS content projects. Also contributed to other titles in the Active Interest Media family of brands.
Cartographer, Nokia/Navteq | Sept. 2007 — May 2010 | Washington, DC
- Managed team of five to produce map services for key clients, including the NFL, Honda, and major convention centers and visitors bureaus. Served as technical contact for sales and client teams, scheduling production work and milestones.
Assistant Map Editor, Backpacker magazine | June 2005 — Sept. 2007 | Boulder, CO
- Helped launch a nationwide, user-generated GPS content project to collect digital data and topographic maps for hiking trails. Wrote, edited and produced print and digital content, including downloadable GPS data for consumer use.
Rocky Mountain Public Media – Community Advisory Board, FY2017-Present
Online News Association – Mentor, Student Innovation Lab – 2016-2017
TEDx Boulder – Organizing Team, 2016-2020
PUBLICATIONS AND PROJECTS
Nature Valley Trail View
- Nature Valley Trail View website (field guide, researcher, copywriter, cartographer)
- Nature Valley Trail Tips (script writing, on-camera talent)
- Nature Valley Quietest Show on Earth (copywriting: microsite and Facebook page)
- Think With Google Creative Sandbox featured campaign
- The Tent We’d Take Camping July 2014
- The Sleeping Bag We Like (So Far) September 2014
- All Andrew Matranga Gear and Trail content on backpacker.com
- Tablets and Apps package
- Destinations: Continental Divide Trail, Mexico Border to Hachita, NM
- Most Remote Place Map
- Glen Canyon Poster
- Grand Canyon Adventure Guide
- California Waypoint Hikes February 2007
- Apps and Maps Promotional Ad
PUBLIC SPEAKING – Playlist
Matranga, A. (2019, December). Speaker, Ignite Boulder 40. Delivered talk titled “Studying Star Wars: Lessons From A Galaxy Far, Far Away.” Boulder Theater, Boulder, Colorado.
Matranga, A. (2018, October). Conducted Q&A with Susan Witkin of KOA Radio for discussion titled “The Fake News or Alternative Facts Phenomenon.” Presented to the Lifelong Jewish Learning program at Temple Sinai, Denver, Colorado.
Matranga, A. (2018, March). Panelist, Estes Park Library. Sat on panel for conversation titled “Voices from the Newsroom: Experts Discuss Today’s News Environment.” Estes Park High School, Estes Park, Colorado.
Matranga, A. (2017, December). Speaker, Ignite Boulder 34. Delivered talk titled “Welcome to Cannabis as America’s New Normal.” Boulder Theater, Boulder, Colorado.
Matranga, A. (2017, October). Speaker, National Panhellenic Conference: Communicators session. Discussed “America’s New Normal: How legal cannabis is changing media and culture in the USA.” Presented at organization’s annual conference, Denver International Airport Westin Hotel.
Matranga, A. (2016, February). Panel participant, Teach-a-Thon on the “Cannabis Journalism: Reporting on America’s New Normal.” Presented at the Journalism Interactive Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Matranga, A. (2015, April). Panel participant, Teach-a-Thon on the “The Open Book Classroom: How to create transparency and foster collaboration for individual and group success.” Presented at the Journalism Interactive Conference, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.
Matranga, A. (2014, April). Panel participant, Teach-a-Thon on “Google Plus For Engagement Outside the Classroom.” Presented at the Journalism Interactive Conference, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.
Matranga, A. (2013, March). Guest Lecture CU dLab, “Maps for Storytelling.” Presented at the University of Colorado – Boulder Digital Lab lecture series. Boulder, Colorado.
“There are signs that marijuana coverage, like the cannabis scene itself, is evolving. If cannabis continues to be a news draw, it could lead to ever-more skillful and in-depth journalism on the subject. It’s a promising sign that journalism professors such as Matranga are teaching classes on marijuana journalism.” -Joel Warner, International Business Times. Marijuana Has Become A Media Darling, But Are Journalists Too Soft On Pot
- Cannabis Journalism course featured in Westword story about Cannabis-Focused Schools and Courses in Colorado. October 12, 2018.
- Dat-Mocracy Tho! A Comedy Show? – Denver Open Media, June 2018
- The Washington Post, The finer points of pot from Denver’s cannabis critic, May 2015
- The Cannabist Show, March 2016
- International Business Times quoted in article Marijuana Has Become A Media Darling, But Are Journalists Too Soft On Pot
- Denver Post Cannabist Show: He teaches cannabis journalism; She owns an edibles biz
- The Extract, Chicago Sun Times Higher education: Soon you can study marijuana journalism at the University of Denver
- TheCannabist.co article: Cannabis Journalism: It’s a class you can now take at University of Denver
- CNN Espanol live interview
- Featured on CBS4 Denver in Longmont Tech Consultant Has Tips Following Massive Internet Hacking story as a technology consultant.
- Featured on CBS4 Denver in New App Tracks Neighborhood Crime story as a technology expert.
- Featured on thewirecutter.com in a review “The Best GPS for the Wild” as navigation and technology expert.